All 24 schoolgirls abducted from Kebbi in Nigeria have been rescued, president says

All 24 schoolgirls abducted from Kebbi in Nigeria have been rescued, president says


LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — All 24 schoolgirls who were abducted by armed assailants from a school last week in Kebbi in northwestern Nigeria have been rescued, the country’s president announced Tuesday.

The girls were abducted on Nov. 17, and police at the time had said 25 were taken, but a statement Tuesday quoted President Bola Tinubu as saying that all 24 of the students who had been abducted were rescued. No details were released about the rescue mission.

“I am relived that all the 24 girls gave been accounted for. Now, we must put as a matter of urgency more boots on the ground in the vulnerable areas to avert further incidents of kidnapping,” the statement quoted Tinubu as saying.

Advertisement

Advertisement

The attack in Kebbi was among a spate of recent mass abductions in Nigeria.

Attackers raided a Catholic school Friday in north-central Niger state and abducted more than 300 students and staff. Fifty students escaped over the weekend.



Source link

Posted in

Vanity Fair Fashion

I focus on highlighting the latest in news and politics. With a passion for bringing fresh perspectives to the forefront, I aim to share stories that inspire progress, critical thinking, and informed discussions on today's most pressing issues.

Leave a Comment